Sunday, December 11, 2005

Another Year...

Another year has passed me by...I can't believe I'm still here. Wow, I've actually made it this far, 22 years...that's quite an accomplishment. So here goes the start of a new chapter in my life. What will my 22nd year bring me? Will I be more wise and learn from my previous years to not make the same mistakes I have before? Or will I be more daring and let myself make mistakes and just take life as it is, you only live once (unless you believe in reincarnation)? Life is full of choices, and I'm afraid this is my last year before I start making life changing choices to direct my path in the future... So I guess I should be enjoying my 22nd year before reality of the real world really hits me!

I watched "Rent" the movie last night. I've seen the play twice now and I have to say that when I first saw the play I thought that it could make a good movie. But now that I've seen the movie I dunno if I like it all that much...maybe it could have been done better. I found myself being really distracted by how the transitions between song and talk were so abrupt and the transitions from scene to scene after a song finished left awkward silences and sometimes the end of scene lasted way longer than it needed to. I kept finding myself after each scene saying to myself "cut cut cut now!" There was maybe one good transition in the movie between scenes..ok maybe more...but either way it bothered me. The singing was great of course but the scene when Angel gets introduced to Roger and Mark seemed like she was lipsyncing. Seeing it as a movie also helped me understand some things that I may not have gotten in the play since the play version only has one background scene. I suppose that it's hard to transition between song and speech due to the music that goes with it in a movie. It's easier on stage since it is expected but in a movie it comes out as a bit awkward and sudden. But perhaps that's the challenge of making a good movie...trying to make all those elements fit together, so maybe this movie could have been made better? Or maybe it's just me... I feel the theatre version just has a touch of something you can get from the movie. But you don't have to my word for it (reading rainbow)!

No comments: